Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Finally in an apartment

So many things have happened since I last had access to the Internet and could write some blog notes.

I’m in the apartment finally and I think we have got settled in pretty good.
It was some very intense days; I got the day off from work last week I could get all the stuff in. My mom came out to help me get the stuff organized, she’s very good at that. I had a trailer at my cousin’s that he took over here and helped me carry the beds, book shelves and a dresser up the stairs.

The kids got a bed each but I’m still waiting for mine so I’m on a mattress on the floor for now.

We could probably need some small stuff for here and there but it’s quite livable as it is.

Work is hard to say the least. It’s been so difficult to not freak out and panic of all the things I don’t know and not be over whelmed by all the things there is to learn.

Friday last week I had a little mental break down, getting lost in my own country and not feeling like it’s not my home at all is hard. I have been homesick and missing my hubby, Sisso and all my friends back home.
All that is familiar, where I know what’s on TV, what to buy at the commissary, what kind of light bulbs I need, what authorities to call when I need something, who to call when the kids are sick, and all those small things that I took for granted back home in the US has now in my original “home” turned in to something I have no idea of how it works.
It gives you a sense of being lost and that has been really hard. But it’s getting easier day by day I tell myself. And I think as soon as Dale comes, things will be better.

Erik and Syssa are having a great time in school though. Fritis (before and after school care) is maybe not the most fun they’ve ever had but on the other hand, they serve homemade rice pudding for breakfast that the kids think is the best food in the whole world. They have fun talent shows, art and crafts, and lots and lots of PE every day after school. The problem is just that it’s tiring for them to be so long hours. I drop them off at 6:30am and don’t pick them up until 5:30pm, so of course they’re tired.

The Thursday activities at school are fun, they spend the days in the woods, grilling hot dogs for lunch, having hot chocolate and sandwiches. Finding mushrooms, lingonberries and all kind of animal tracks is fun for them. The best way ever to learn science, social studies and everything worth knowing about their surroundings!

I’ve tried to stay active when I’m off work, it’s hard because I don’t want to do anything but sit and just close my eyes after work, but I’ve gone for long walks for about an hour at least 3 days a week and then there’s a aerobics class that I attend on Sunday evenings at the school’s gym.
That plus the change in the way we eat have resulted in about 10 lb in weight loss since I came to Sweden! Not bad!!!!

Have I mentioned how absolutely awesome the nature is in the fall here? It rains a lot, and I mean a lot, but the air and the freshness in it are so amazing I can’t have enough of it. We’ve been going in the woods as much as we can find mushrooms and just watching the wild life around us. There’re hedgehogs, squirrels, cranes, ravens, woodpeckers, badgers and lots of deer all around. And the leaves are turning colors and it’s just so beautiful!

No comments: