Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Is There Life After School Starts?

first day of school is over, I have to admit I had my doubts and fears about that day but it came and passed and every one came out unharmed on the other side.

My big girl started High School and that I can relate to as a pretty nerve wrecking event. I took her and her best friend to school in the morning, they were loaded with maps over the campus and schedules and a good portion of agony.

Everything went fine, there were some "hotties" in band, most teachers were OK and nothing embarrassing happened. Oh well, they all missed their buses on the way home and I had to run to the rescue to pick them all up and take them home, but that's no big deal.

My son started kindergarten, yes, I know there's a big leap between them two, and that has forced me to be a master of multi-tasking.

His biggest concern was if he's going to make a friend or not. He's kind of different, he doesn't need or want a lot of friends, he's happy with just one or two. The only time that shows off as a little odd is for his birthday parties. he wants to invite two friends or so and that's kind of different when you're that age. But he had not to worry because across from him in the classroom was this little boy, as scared looking as my son with a "CARS" t-shirt on, and that was enough to make the boys start talking. When I came to pick him up from school he had so much to tell, not so much about what the teacher had done or said, but what the little boy across from him had said and done.... Oh what a relief for a worried mama's heart!

On the other hand... Now I feel older than ever, that time just fly by, without me being able to stop it, and I get in a sense of existential doubt.
What ever happens next? Is there life after this? I want to slow down, and enjoy every moment, and not forget anything they say or do, how's that possible when I'm not even done scrap booking my oldest one's first year living and have two more kids to scrapbook for? Will my kids do OK in life? What if I spoil their lives with the way I raise them?

The counselor in Kindergarten that came to talk to all of us torn apart parents, left out in the cold, alone in the hallways after the classroom closed doors abruptly had taken our babies away from us, said this is normal.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling your pain...thomas started last week! He's holding like a trooper, we've dealt with bully's and spilt lunch tray and getting into trouble for talking (imagine that:-)!! But this week is going better...i'm hopeing for some little buddy for him by the end of this one...they don't get to interact much with each other on their own...so we'll see! He's going to sun city...doesn't that bring back nightmares (i'm having them nightly!) Congrats to Big sister...high school wow!!! How is little sister holding up?? Tobin's not doing so well with it here! Too bad they can't play!:-) I hope it's a great week for all!!! love,kat (i'll call when all this stuff get's settled!)