Thursday, August 30, 2007

Africa, Here I Come?


I've just finished filling out an application for a new job and I'm at that extremely nervous stage already where I expect the phone to ring any moment telling that they want to schedule me for an interview, and I check my email 3 times per hour even though they said they won't start calling people in for interviews until after Sept. 19th.

The job is with a non profit organization I've had my eyes on now for quite a while, and finally they posted a job that was right up my alley.
It's goal is to end world hunger by equipping people with the tools neccessary to take care of themselves. Instead of giving the hungry a glass of milk, give the hungry a cow!

In my early childhood years and all the way up in my 30's I thought I would go to Africa and work with the people no one ask for or care for.

I remember being a little girl in my church sitting with eyes wide as saucers, mouth half way open taking in every word the missionary said, every slide in her slide show and I remember thinking I would one day go there too.

I finally got my chance to see Africa first hand in 1994.
Leaving the airport in Dakar for an hour and a half ride in the back of an old pick up truck, with a open sky and millions of stars looking down at me, I remember crying of joy of finally being there. The stay in Africa left an impact on me that will never go away but I never went back.

I find it quite ironic that instead of living in Africa under hardships and misery, I ended up in the richest, wealthiest country in the world. But now maybe that will show it had a purpose as well.

Maybe I get this job and maybe I get a chance to make a difference in that part of the world after all.

I really want to believe that

No comments: