Wednesday, August 31, 2011

quiet days

It's been awhile and I feel like almost nothing has happened worth mentioning.

But then I was thinking and maybe something has happend after all...
For example I'm now a mom to a 20 year old.... can't believe it, but Alyssa actually turned 20 last week and that makes me feel OLD! Luckily I'm also a mom to an 8 year old, so that should even things out a bit ha ha!

Last weekend we went to Smedjans Dag at Hävla. It's an old community built around a black smith mill. They renovated it some and keep it open as a museum and one Saturday per year, people dress up in old clothes, they get the old mill going, they talk about the old time, and keep the house where the workers and their families lived open.

My family has always went there because my moms moms dad was the very last master black smith working there and my grandma grew up in that one room apartment. So when she was still alive she met up with relatives and old childhood friends there every year. And my mom and her siblings have kept the tradition going and provide new information, some pictures or what ever needed for the museum every year.
It was fun going there again after so many years to find that nothing had changed. The old lady that shows my great grandpa's room is still there, looking fragile and so adorable you have to fight the temptation bringing her home. The fika at the little cafe is still the same, just a little more expensive and the same people and attractions are still there as well.

We left to go to a big fair/market/sale in a neighboring community. Lots of vendors selling crafts, linen, food and old stuff were there. I had to restrain myself from not buying everything I saw it was so many beautiful things!!!

No one use ice here. The drinks are served without ice and it drives my kids insane. So I found a vendor at that market place who sold ice cube making bags that you just fill up with water and throw in the freezer. I bought a bunch of them! Dale promised to look for a little ice maker back home and bring it over here.

The kids are in school and they enjoy it big time. Both of them think the woodwork/ sewing class is by far the best thing every week.

On Sunday evening I went to a aerobics class at the school's gym. It was fun, and I got to meet some of the other ladies in the community. I am still a little sore from it.

Saturday I learned that the people we're waiting for to move out of "our" house won't move until December 1st. What a bummer!!

So now we're looking in to move in to a small apartment a couple of hundred feet from here while we're waiting. It's just a one bedroom, a living room, kitchen bathroom and laundry room, but it has a covered porch in the front and a balcony in the back. 4 small apartment is in this small building and it's still very close to school for the kids and we think it might be worth it. To have to live in a suitcase for an other 3 months here at my cousin's house is feels kind of overwhelming. We're waiting for a time from the land lord.

Fall is on it's way. I packed away all the kids shorts and tank tops this morning and made room for long sleef and fleeces instead. I know most Swedes probable don't like when the days get shorter, the cold weather hits and the constant rain from charcoal clouds, but I love it. The air is so fresh, it's so easy to breathe and I just can't get enough of it.

I have to go for a walk...

No comments: