Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I miss the Swedish God...

Today we learned about the catastrophe earth quake hitting Haiti. Up to a quarter of a million people might be dead.
The media talks about it in it's normal very close minded way. They interview the Americans living and working in Haiti, a husband is happy to find his wife though caught for 10 hours in the rubble is OK. Matt Lauer says, I'm so happy to hear you and your family are fine, and the husband on the phone says, yes, but there are 1000's of people outside in the streets that are not...

Later in the afternoon I hear Pat Robertson have a answer to why Haiti was hit, the same answer he gave to why the Big Easy was hit by Katrina... They have sinned and brought it on themselves....

While all this is unfolding on the news I'm reading an old book by Adrian Plass called An Alien at St. Wilfred's.
An absolutely wonderful book that everyone who like me wrestles with the question if there's a God or not and if there is, what is he like? HAS to read.

In that book I get to know the God and the Jesus that I used to think I knew back in Sweden, a life time ago, again. The kind, soft spoken, loving God. A God so far from the evangelical right wing you can imagine, A God that men like Pat Robertson have never ever heard of.

I miss that God.
There's a place in my heart and mind wishing so bad that the God portraited in Adrian Plass' book, the God I met in worship in my little house group back in Sweden, is the I AM.
And that the God the evangelical right wing people believes in is just a horrible character in a bad scary movie.

9 comments:

Annika said...

Intressant... När jag hade bott i England och kom hem så kände jag att det var tufft, rent andligt, att komma tillbaka till Sverige. Gud är densamme var vi än är, men det är ju intressant att det andliga klimatet, och människors uppfattning av Gud kan skilja sig och att det påverkar oss...

The Great I AM finns fortfarande nära dig, inte bara i husgruppen i Norrköping... :o)

Ken Franklin said...

Hi Magdalena,

That blog is brilliant, I love every word of it. Keep thinking and writing.

Unknown said...

Well spoken! I rest in the conviction that God is waayy bigger than even the rightwing evagelicals i the States! Maby he chooses to incarnate himself in a small housechurch in Norrköping much in the same way as when Jesus was born in a stable out in the bush i hillbillyland in the middle east. (that godforsaken part of the world...) We miss you up here by the way! Dea

Peter Marsden said...

Hi Magdalena,

Thanks for your thoughtful and wise blog. Reading about Haiti reminded me of living in our little yellow house in Portsmouth Dominica and how devastating it must be to have such a community destroyed.

I enjoyed this post too and hope you also find it helpful.

http://donmilleris.com/2010/01/13/1513/

Lots of love,
Peter

Home Swede Home said...

Peter, thanks for that link, I read it right away and it was very helpful. So much wisdom he proves by not be angry, not blame and not to see everything black or white. I have a long way to go....

Very nice hearing from you :) and just as you said, what happens in Haiti reminds me of our time in Dominica... those were the days!
take care and thanks for your input, hugs Magdalena

Home Swede Home said...

Andreaz,
so good to hear from you! what a wonderul thought to think Jesus incarnated to touch lives in a small group of young people thirsty for the presens of the Almighty.
Oh my, do I miss you and Tina!
give everyone hugs

Home Swede Home said...

Ken, thanks again!!!
"The God you miss is alive and at work..." Lovely words, thanks!!!

Home Swede Home said...

Annika, jag tar "ett hårt andligt klimat" any day hellre än ett "religiöst" influerat samhälle. Tro mig, jag önskar inget hellre än att the Great I Am finns nånstans!

Annika said...

Ah, välkommen tillbaka till Sverige då ;o).
Men jag förstår hur du tänker.