Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Guns vs Shovels

I watch as much as I can about the unimaginable catastrophe happening as we speak in Haiti. As all other people watching I can't grasp the suffering and the despair among the survivors, nor can I understand the lack of organisation to get the water, food, and medicine that arrive daily, out to the needy.

The outpouring generosity among the worlds wealthy countries has been nothing but outstanding so far, and on a individual level people are doing what ever they can to help out by texting, by giving the red cross money and selling hot chocolate in the street corners as I saw two little girls doing.

But the airport in Port-a-Prince is plugged up, as the American forces has taken it under control and up till yesterday prioritised military aircraft over humanitarian aid. US military are coming in with 1000's of troops every day, troops armed with guns, and that puzzles me some..

I'm not usually someone that smack the bible in the head on people but I think I remember something in the Old Testament about turning swords into plowshares... wait... well here we have it: Mikah 4:3 and Isaiah 2:4 (isn't Google the best?).

"They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore."

"And they will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, And never again will they learn war."

Let's play with the thought of sending our troops equipped with shovels instead of guns??
They get off the C-130's and C-5's with a backpack and a shovel attached to the side. They would line up by the supply air crafts, stuffing their backpacks full of water and MREs and then they take off, as soon as their backpacks were empty they'd start using their shovel and help find bodies in the rubble. What a wonderful way of using the military!

But on the other hand I'm not a officer in any of the military branches, I never went to war college to learn how to preform a successful war...

No comments: