Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How To Effect Fully Kill Any Interests In Reading Books!

My son is a first grader who is a very good reader but absolutely hates it.
This I again blame on the school.

I have over and over told the teacher that books that have no meaning or are just pointless destroy his willingness to read.

You have to understand where I come from. I’m a vivid reader, my mom read big chapter books for me at the age of two, and as soon as I learned to read myself I had a book going all the time. This is just who I am, I love to read. And more than anything I want to pass that on to my kids. But I have to tell you, the school is trying hard to kill that interest and is doing it very successfully.

Every week the class gets to read a book out loud in the classroom twice, then they bring the same book home and are supposed to read it out loud again twice to a parent and the parent sign a sheet saying the child has read it and then send it back to school the next day. Most kids have probably learned the book by heart by now and don’t have to read it at all but just recite the book to the parent, so the reading practice is kind of spoiled by now and it’s more about memorization, but anyway.

If this is a book that is funny, have a twist in the end, teach them something about some interesting fact or anything mind tickling, I’d be fine with it, but I’ll show you how they went the extra mile to find authors that try their hardest to make children despise reading.

Here’s this week’s book. I’ve compiled the 14 pages and I leave out the author’s name, because I don’t want to embarrass him/her.


Blueberry muffins

What are you making, clever Sal
What are you making, my smart gal

Blueberry muffins, momma, momma,
Blueberry muffins, momma dear

What about the sugar, clever Sal
What about the sugar, my smart gal

It came from the sugar cane, momma, momma
It came from the sugar cane, momma dear

What about the flour, clever Sal
What about the flour, my smart gal

It came from the wheat grain, momma, momma
It came from the wheat grain, momma dear

What about the eggs, clever Sal
What about the eggs, my smart gal

They came from the chicken, momma, momma
They came from the chicken, momma dear

What about the milk, clever Sal
What about the milk, my smart gal

It came from the cow, momma, momma
It came from the cow, momma dear

What about the blueberries, clever Sal
What about the blueberries, my smart gal

I picked them from the bushes, momma, momma
What about the blueberries, momma dear

Let’s eat the muffins, clever Sal
Let’s eat the muffins, my smart gal

We will eat them now, momma, momma
We will eat them now, momma dear


I can go to the Dollar Store and find a book that’s better. Actually, I myself can write a book that has more action to tickle the young reader to quickly change page to see what happens next.

So,
If you have a child that is a good reader, and you want to make sure he never ever picks up a book to read voluntary, send him or her to my son’s school and I’m sure they take care of that little problem for you.

No comments: