Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fun Days and Bumps in the Road

Still in total disbelief of what happened in Norway last weekend.

Saturday, Syssa turned 8 and we had our good friends Kelly and Devin over for a BBQ with ribs, chicken wings and sausage. I made a new recipe potato salad that I thought turned out really well. Lots of herbs in a vinegar and oil mix. For desert "Brown Cake" = brownies!!! Syssa was happy for her presents, a IPod, some cds, a diary and a DS game.

On Sunday my dear lady friends in our squadron held a ice cream social in my honor. 11 flavors of home made ice cream, custards, frozen yogurts, granitas, and sorbets.
The weirdest by far was the asparagus ice cream that I had suggested, kind of... I asked Kelly the host and maker of all the ice cream if there was going to be any different flavors, like asparagus, and she took the idea and ran with it... One spoonful of the sharp green frozen treat was all I could do, but it was not bad, just very asparagus-ish!!!
My favorite was the basil-lemon granita, and in a tight second place a banana-walnut-rum custard.

Yesterday, Monday I was invited to a friend for a fika with quiche and Syssa came along with me since she has two girls and a niece to play with.
I almost had to cancel the visit, because Dale called right after getting to work with the very frustrated news that his application to get a 5 months extension to his retirement was denied.

This means that he will now finish his work by September, when we have already left for Sweden. It makes it hard for us to make a retirement ceremony and we have to think about taking the house off the market and instead rent it out. It will work out but it made a huge bump in out planned rout for sure.

Today, I will meet with my former work friends for lunch at a restaurant and say goodbye to them. Fun to see them again, but sad with goodbyes...

10 days until we take off...

No comments: