Friday, March 13, 2009

Count Our Blessings

On this Friday the 13th, let's get away from all the scary movies and bad times.

One of my favorite songs ever is "It's A Great Day To Be Alive" with Travis Tritt.
Recently I think I've forgotten that life theme but today I'm determined to make it my banner again.

World Recession:
The other day on the radio show with Dave Ramsey he asked the audience for people that refuse to participate in the country wide, and soon global wide recession, and My husband and I looked at each other and said, "we're not participating!!" And we're not. We're not worse off than we were a year ago.

I have lost one of my jobs, my weekend job has been laid off for the last two months, but my boss says they might let me come back if business picks up. I have two other jobs anyway and they bring in a little bit of money every month, and my husband after years of long, hard work finally got promoted, and to see the the relief in his eyes are more worth than anything.

We have lost some money in the 401K but I didn't have that much there to start with so it's not bothering us that much.


Family wise:
I'm not very happy with Erik's school as you as readers well know by now, but Erik said the other day that he's having a little bit more fun at school now and summer is almost here, and if we're staying here in AR I'm considering Home Schooling for the fall.

Not knowing if we're moving or not is hard on me, but I've come to realize that what ever happens we're happy, we love it here, and we would love it somewhere else.

Living so far away from my parents is very tough. My dad is in poor health and every time the phone rings at a weird time I freak out and thinks something have happened to him.
But I get to talk to my parents every day on the phone. What if I was an early immigrant from Sweden in the beginning of the 1800? When they left their home country it was to never ever return. The only way of communication was with letters that could take months and months to reach their destination.
Even though the plane tickets to go over there are outrageous expensive I can go with in a couple of hours if something would happen.

I stopped for coffee this morning and remembered the news the other week of what people in Starbucks drive through were doing and decided to do the same, pay for the following car's coffee. Hopefully that made his or her day a little brighter.

So my challenge for myself and for you the reader is to start count our blessings in these hard times and hopefully we can turn all the negative news we hear every day back to every day being "a great day to be alive, and know the sun still shining when I close my eyes"

My iPod's loading some Travis Tritt right now...

1 comment:

Annika said...

A true blessing to read your blog :o). Thank you!!